This is a great recipe to make ahead for batch cooking soups, stews, and roasts. Double this recipe if you plan to make many recipes that uses broth.
Makes 9 cups
· 1.5kg chicken parts (neck, carcasses, cut in half)
· 10 cups water
· 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
· 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
· 1 yellow onion, skin on and coarsely chopped
· 1 tsp salt
· Preheat oven to 450F. Arrange chicken bones in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast in centre of oven until bones are brown and fragrant, 30 minutes.
· Pour water into slow cooker. Add carrots, celery, onion, salt, and roasted bones. Cover and cook on high until bones start to break down, about 6 hours.
· Strain broth through a fine mesh strainer into a large resealable container. Cool slightly, then refrigerate overnight, covered, until fat sets on top. Skim off and discard fat.
Nutrition per cup (250ml)